Wednesday 22 December 2010

Big Boys' toys - part 2

Continuing the tale of my recent visit to the Defence Academy at Shrivenham, we were fortunate indeed to receive a tour of the Small Arms Armoury.  The Colonel who runs the Armoury favoured us with a brief talk and then bid us help ourselves from the well-stocked walls.  While there was (quite understandably) no question of being able to fire anything, it is worth noting that all the guns are fully functional!

These chaps are all respectable, well-educated professionals, and have nothing to do with the 'terrorists' in my earlier post.  Honestly.  Your humble correspondent is front left, toting a PPSH.
The 'Hero of the Soviet Union' pose.  It had to be done.
John Bassett looked worryingly comfortable with this grenade launcher.
Me again, this time with a Czech WZ.61 Skorpion machine pistol - I particularly wanted to try out weapons I have as airsoft guns - including Steyr AUG, AK-47, G-3, SA-80, MP-40 and M-1 Garand.  I also had a look at SLR, M-79, SKS, SCAR-H, M-4, M-16, Sterling and MG-42.
More rifles, including FN FAL and HK G3.
Russian rifles, including SVT-40, SKS and Dragunov.
Some of the many (20+) AKs.
WW2 German automatic rifles, including (centre) early FG-42.
I have located the photos of tanks and APCs I took on my earlier visit to Shrivenham (2005) - I will post these over the course of the next week as a Christmas treat. 
There will be no post on the 24th as (weather permitting - it is snowing here again) Sara and I are getting married!

8 comments:

Paul said...

Married! Fantastic stuff Tim, All the best.

Lets see Guns,models,wargaming, snow and a wedding this all sounds like a good few days work.

Good on you mate!

Tim Gow said...

Paul
Thanks - it does sound a busy week when you put it like that!
Tim

Don M said...

Wow, you do pack your week! All my best to you and Sara, I do hope she knows about the war gaming thing...lol

As all the gun...very nice, looks somewhat like a room in my house!

Tim Gow said...

Don M
Did I mention I was also at work on Monday and Tuesday? Sara is not only tolerant of my hobby activities but enncouraging. Like I need that.
Tim

Conrad Kinch said...

Congratulations old chap.

Tim Gow said...

Conrad
Thanks - now get back to looking at toys!
Tim

Bill said...

Congratulations to you my condolences to her! Just
kidding on that last bit
of course, wishing all the
best!

Tim Gow said...

Bill
Thanks for the thought. Here goes!
Tim