Wednesday 23 November 2011

New book!

I spotted this newly-published book at the Telford IPMS show and spent much of the day agonising over it, before bowing to the inevitable and ordering a copy!  The book offers a complete and well illustrated history of Sov Tactical air power during the Cold War - from early jets and Il-10 to hi-tech stuff (which is still in service) like MIG-29 and Su-25.  If that doesn't get me churning through my backlog of 1/300 aircraft (to say nothing of more recently acquired larger scale kits) I don't know what will. 
Interestingly, the same authors have also written a volume on Soviet strategic air power which is already on my 'wish list'.  We can but hope that they next turn their attention to the Soviet air defence system during the Cold War period.

6 comments:

Paul said...

Super buy!

Tim Gow said...

Paul
I'm very pleased with it - I've already discovered early (pre-Korea) encounters between Sov fighters and US RB-50s.

Paul said...

Good stuff. I read "By Any Means Necessary" by William Burrows a few months back and was most impressed by the scope of operations carried out in the early periods of the Cold War.

Major T. J. "King" Kong eat your heart out!

Tim Gow said...

Paul
That sounds interesting. I'll order a copy later.

Wg Cdr Luddite said...

Telford was a strange epiphany for me.

During my time in the Air Cadets (late 1970s) I became 'air-minded' and loved the RAF aircraft of the cold war.

I was even seconded to our co-located TA unit (The Dukes) to give aircarft recognition lessons on WarPac aircraft. My constant frustration with the poor(and out of date) quality of material from the MoD led me to abandon my interest in Warpac aircraft.

At Telford, however, I realised that post Soviet Union there is shed loads of new information now available on the WarPac aircraft of this era and discoverd (much to my suprise) that I may actually be an expert/fanboy of these aircraft.

Tim Gow said...

Wg Cdr Luddite
There is now a vast amount of (accurate) information available on the subject, some of which inevitable makes a nonsense of what we all thought we knew back in the '80s. Even my aircraft recognition skills are improving!