Monday 25 June 2012

IAR-80

Given my heavy investment in 20mm WW2 Romanians, I was very pleased to find this model in production.  It is a single-piece metal casting by True North.  The IAR 80 was an indigenous Romanian design which entered service in 1940 and 66 were on strength on the eve of Operation Barbarossa. 
The numbers and crosses are decals which were also sourced from True North, though I opted to paint on the tail stripes.  This expands my Forţele Aeriene Regale ale României (Royal Romanian Air Force) to five models!

12 comments:

Al said...

Never seen one of these before, most unusual

Tim Gow said...

Al
You know me Al - if it's a bit obscure and ideally not very good - I have to have it!

Tsold9000 said...

Do you have Romanian troops you can show?

Tim Gow said...

Tsold9000
Have a look at the recent 'Krisis at Kharkov' game reports and also: http://megablitzandmore.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/fortele-aeriene-regale-ale-romaniei.html

Rodger said...

Nice model Tim , and nice to see something a little different too.

Paul said...

I like it Tim, it has nice lines and is seems a little odd looking at the same time.

A worthy addition!

Tim Gow said...

Rodger
I refer you to my reply to Al's comment!

Tim Gow said...

Paul
I know just what you mean about the look of it. Sort of Fw190D but not quite?

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Tim,

This is one of my favourite 'unknown' aircraft of World War II ... and I am very pleased to see that someone makes a model of one.

It looks very interesting, and should be a great addition to your Romanian forces.

All the best,

Bob

Tim Gow said...

Bob Cordery
It is surprisingly 'unknown' - especially considering it was quite a decent 'plane.

Chris Kemp said...

Nice model, Tim. 1:100 or 1:144? Any 'plane that you can fly with the cockpit open and your silk scarf trailing in the wind is automatically cool :O)

Regards, Chris

Tim Gow said...

Chris Kemp
1/144, silk scarf not included.