Sunday 9 December 2012

Big Backfire

This foot-long pointy horror was built from a 1/144 scale Minicraft plastic kit.  The Tu-22M 'Backfire' entered Soviet service in the early 1970s, both as a strategic bomber and in the anti-shipping role.  Backfires were used operationally in both Afghanistan and Chechnya.
This particular kit had been owned by Wg Cdr Luddite for many years before he decided to build it.  Part way through painting it he lost enthusiasm for the project and knowing of my weakness for such things suggested a deal.  This was swiftly agreed and it passed into my ownership. 
Then more time passed.  Then a couple of weeks ago I brushed off the dust, carried out some minor repairs and finished off the paintwork.  As the kit markings disintegrated in water I sourced some replacements from my decal box.  a coat of matt spray varnish finished the thing off.
 And yes - I do have a suitably whacky idea for using it in a game....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Game of Darts?

Tim Gow said...

SAROE
Cheeky!

Paul said...

Okay if there is one thing I love its the Cold War VVS, something for everybody in that service.

I did not realize Minicraft did this beast.

Nice job.

Tim Gow said...

Paul
I thought this would be your sort of thing. More Cold War foolishness coming soonish.