Thursday 3 January 2013

Mossie flies again!

My previously mentioned Winter Aircraft Project has produced it's first result!  This old Airfix 1/72 Mosquito which was unpainted and rather sorry looking is now painted and ready for action.  But still a bit sorry looking...
Sadly the Mossie wasn't complete in time for it's proposed walk-on part in The Guns Of Toblerone but while only a few of the best films have sequels, nearly all of the bad ones do....
 After effecting some basic repair work and cutting off the few remaining prop blades it was treated to a basic paint job.  The green tuned out a bit darker than I expected but I think it looks OK.  The canopy was a sea of glue so painting over it easy the only real option.  I found a set of original decals (possibly even the set supplied with this very kit) and slapped them on.  The ensemble was then finished with a coat of Vallejo matt varnish.  This gave a slight sheen which I rather like on this size of model.
Awaiting varnish.  The difference is quite astonishing.
Knowing I was painting the canopy certainly made the camo painting easier!
 
Don't forget to vote for the next 1/72 'plane to be rescued from oblivion!

15 comments:

Milgeek said...

Excellent. I love the Mossie, well done for bringing this one back from the dead.

peter said...

Great painted plane Tim! Very smart of you to paint the canopy after you added the camo!

Greetings
Peter
http://www.peterscave.blogspot.be/

Tim Gow said...

Stephen Beat
The basic shape is just so nice that not even I can mess it up!

Tim Gow said...

Peter
I think I'll be using that approach again!

Paul said...

You cannot beat a man with his Mosquito...Or so I am told.

Nice work, the colours look great too me.

633 Squadron game coming up?

Tim Gow said...

Paul
There was a possibility that a Mosquito strike would arrive on Toblerone. But as I didn't have the model ready, it didn't happen!!

Tim Gow said...

Michel 3D
Thanks for your kind words - ill have a look at your blog later.

Rodger said...

I do like the Mosquitos. Very nice job Tim!

Nick Grant said...

It looks great!

Archduke Piccolo said...

The dark green came out in these pics looking dark grey - which is an effective looking finish in my view.

I've occasionally seen propellers replaced with clear plastic circles, often edged yellow or red, so that they looked like air screw rotating at high speed. Looks good to me!

Tim Gow said...

Rodger
You have to love a Mossie - it's just an irresistible shape!

Tim Gow said...

Nick Grant
Not bad for what was nearly scrap!

Tim Gow said...

Archduke Piccolo
I have used the clear acetate approach before, though I'm not a big fan of it. Besides, as t is now the Mossie will be a lo easier to store and transport.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Great work Tim
I must get mine finished!

Tim Gow said...

Geordie
You really must!