Friday 28 June 2013

Another town, another train

Well another scale.  Regular readers will have noticed the O gauge train in my most recent Funny Little Wars report.  The more cynical among you - and those who know me well - will have suspected that there was more still to come.  There is.  While O Gauge is actually 1:43.5 scale, so rather smaller than the 1:32 scale toys, I thnk they work really well together.
The full 'fleet' (is that the correct expression for trains?) will be revealed in time, but I'll start with this disreputable looking specimen - by far the scruffiest of my locomotives.  Why?  Because its in such a sorry state that I'll be (lightly) converting it into an armoured train.
More news of this nonsense soon....

8 comments:

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

oooh Lovely and so full of potential. Not to mention just the right size for 40mm armies...........

Archduke Piccolo said...

Locomotives under one banner or nation I do believe is call collectively a 'fleet', in much the same way as one describes a fleet of motor vehicles or lorries. A collection of (mobile) locos and the vehicles they draw is known as 'rolling stock', although I tend to think of rolling stock as distinct from locomotives, much as in chess one speaks of 'pieces' as distinct from 'pawns'. So if you were to speak of Schmogglund's fleet of locomotives and rolling stock, I don't believe you would be uttering a tautology.

As for scale, vehicles, buildings etc always look better in my view for being slightly under scale. You might find that 1:76 aircraft go very well with your FLW ground equipment.

Cheers,
Ion

Paul said...

I shall just find my anorak to ensure I am properly prepared for more train action!

Martin Rapier said...

Goods job you have big games room Tim!

Tim Gow said...

Ross Mac
I'm sure they'd work we'll with 40mm toys!

Tim Gow said...

Archduke Piccolo
Thanks so much for clearing that up! I'm sure we'll all sleep a lot better with that knowledge....
As to the aircraft, I already have a couple in 1/72 scale (cheap, easy to store, look OK) and a couple in 1/35ish (quite cheap, pre-coloured easy kits). I also picked up a pair of cheap old 1/48 kits but they'll be more of a challenge!

Tim Gow said...

Paul
And you'll need a special notepad so you can write down all the train numbers in my photos...

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
I used to - it seems to be full of boxes these days!