Monday 28 July 2014

Fagot Filling*

Fear not - it isn't what you think.  But a sorry tale nonetheless.  This elderly Eastern Bloc relic** was recently purchased for £2.50*** as it seemed fitting that a low budget Soviet-era antique should be built from a low budget Soviet-era kit.  Fitting.  Now there's a word I'll not be using much during this post.
The instructions.  Such as they are.

Initial impressions weren't too bad - but hang on - look at the shape of the rudder.  While carving off the flash I think that more plastic went in the bin than stayed on the kit...
Parts required a degree of persuasion to stay together.

When the glue dried there were gaps you could fire a Sidewinder through.  So it was out with the filler.

Sanding off the excess filler.  Its a horrid kit but for an old MiG that somehow feels right!

* The NATO codename for the MiG-15 is of course 'FAGOT'.  For further such hilarity see also this earlier post.
** The logo on the box is 'KP'.
*** It may not sound a lot but £2.50 represents around 5% of the 1979 GDP of the People's Democratic Republic of Forbodia.

8 comments:

Diplomatist said...

In case you don't know, and are interested, KP Kopro are the old Czech firm Kovozávody Prostějov, established in 1953 and producing plastic kits from 1969.

In 2009 the model kit lines were bought by an outfit called KP Models who reissued some of them - I don't know if they're still operating.

Paul Foster said...

Thank goodness for poly-filler, cabbage, vodka and NATO reporting names!

Tim Gow said...

Edwin King
Thanks Edwin - useful info. As it happens I did know that KP were Czech - the presence of Czecko but no Soviet markings in the kits are a clue! I've seen other KP kits advertised lately but I don't know how old they are.

Tim Gow said...

Paul Foster
Spoken like a true believer, comrade!

The Dancing Cake Tin said...

Paul left out potatoes in a cynical Trotskyist plot to undermine deliberately the glory that is FORBODIA!

Tim Gow said...

Dancing Cake Tin
Just jealousy I expect.

Milgeek said...

...I keep thinking I will make a pun on the title....But keep thinking better of it (even my Sid James side is telling me to walk away from this one)!

Tim Gow said...

Stephen Beat
I respect your restraint!