Thursday 4 December 2014

Full of Eastern Promises....

...but don't believe a single one!
The play by email (PBEM) game of Diplomacy run by stalwart blogger Mad Padre* has now concluded.  There is more - much more - on his blog, especially the more recent post here.
It can now be revealed that I played the now notorious Sultan Abd-al-Hamid II​​​​​​​​​ of Turkey and when the game ended was second only to the Brits with a not too shabby eleven supply centres.  Actually I believe this was my best ever showing in a Diplomacy game - and the first one I have ever played by email.  Indeed prior to this the last Dippy game I played was by post - in 1989!
For the benefit of those of you who have not experienced Diplomacy it can perhaps best be described as a game for seven players who hate each other.  Happily the PBEM version seems to have been rather less heated and as far as I know all of the players are still on speaking - or at least emailing terms.
So my thanks once again to Michael for running the thing so well, my fellow players and all those who have commented and assisted during the game - not least my own occasional shadowy adviser Jerry E.

And so for the last time the good Sultan says:
 "Blessings upon you and may your camels be ever fruitful."

Not everyone looks this good in a fez.



* He is certainly one of these things - and quite possibly both.

19 comments:

Peter Douglas said...

Pasha Tim

Well done sir! Fezzes are cool. But I wouldn't buy a used camel from you.

Cheers
PD

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Sultan Gow,

Devious, cunning, conniving, dissolute, and inscrutable ... and a penchant for funny hats. Is this a description of your character ... or not?

If the Fez fits, wear it.

May your camels bear many calves and your wives many sons ...

Bob Pasha

Diplomatist said...

I enjoyed the game, O Worthy Opponent!

Di Graspi

Mad Padre said...

Fezes are indeed cool.
Remind me never to play poker with you, Tim. It wouldn't be pretty.
You did very well and it was a pleasure to have you at the table.
Cheers,
Michael

Don M said...

I see you in that Fez and I think of the Peter Lorre line "The Mummy Strikes" your well done
your supreme craftiness....)

David Crook said...

Hi Tim,

I tried to think up something suitably Ottoman inspired but could do no better than echoing Bob's comment - I am glad to see that you were Turking in seriously though....

All the best,

DC

Tim Gow said...

Peter Douglas
What? Not even this lovely little low-mileage camel guv? Only ever used by Mrs Sultan to go the the bazaar....

Tim Gow said...

Stu Rat
Quite so - the hate comes later. About mid-game usually.

Tim Gow said...

Bob Cordery
Only the silly hats bit really.

Honest

Tim Gow said...

Edwin King
As did I - and thanks again for the use of your villa in Naples....

Tim Gow said...

Michael Peterson
Actually I don't know how to play poker. But if I were you I wouldn't believe me either....

Tim Gow said...

Don M
The Sultan thanks you for your continuing obsequiousness.

Tim Gow said...

David Crook
With support like that how could I go wrong?

Sun of York said...

Turkey and Uncle England made a good team. Your trust in me was much appreciated and did you no wrong.

And you came so close to seizing Rome. That would have been a game clincher I think.

A great game, but not for the faint hearted or for people you have to live with afterwards.

All the best for your camels and I hope the red dye doesn't come out of your fez.

Dick Bryant said...

I came to Miniature gaming through Diplomacy. My initial contact with gaming was with the Boardman series og games in the 1960's!! Was in 3 different PBM games at once. But a (former) friend no longer speaks to me (since 1989) because I "stabbed" his Italy as Turkey in a Face-to-face game!! Some people just don't realize its a GAME!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Respect for even getting to the end of one of those epic Diplomacy games with your sanity intact, er hang on (cold war large scale armies come into mind), well done for finishing it ;)

Tim Gow said...

Sun of York
A proper 'gentlemens agreement' I think. But who's going to trust us in such a game again?

Tim Gow said...

Dick Bryant
As I recall, face to face games of Diplomacy were apt to get rather heated!

Tim Gow said...

Geordie
I think that the good ship Sanity set sail some time ago. And was lost with all hands....