Saturday 13 September 2014

Star Fighter? F-104G - part 1

I have never previously owned a 1/72 Starfighter so when I was wondering what else to build as air support for my Little Cold Wars West Germans this was an obvious candidate.
The parts for this Academy kit emerged from the box looking crisp and so it was with a sense of great optimism that I embarked on the build.




So far so good......
But here is the trouble spot.  The main undercart doors consist of four pieces which basically only have each other to cling to.  I just couldn't make it work and so gave up and stuck a single piece of plastic card in the gap.  Only enemy AA gunners will ever notice and they'll be too busy.  And it's a 'working ' wargames model anyway.

8 comments:

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

I once spoke to an American aircraft restorer who was exhibiting a Starfighter to a bunch of American Scouts.

'This airplane' he said 'is called a lawn dart by some'.

I said 'Where I come from it's called a Widow Maker'. He wasn't very pleased.

Tim Gow said...

Jim Duncan
Silly chap. He obviously hadn't figured out why it was called a lawn dart!

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

I have a bit of sympathy for him and his kind. Obviously an ex-services mechanic of the same generations as his aircraft, B-17 up to an AV8A having to deal with 'young' citizens not long out of nappies.

His museum/workshop was wiped out in a 2006 tornado and he didn't have the motivation to start again.

Duc de Gobin said...

The starfighter always reminds me of a federation pursuit ship from Blake's 7 (back in the day - young 'uns will have no idea what I'm talking about).

Mind you, knowing the BBC effects department, bits of it probably did end up in there!

Paul Foster said...

Great fix. Practical!

Tim Gow said...

Jim Duncan
Ouch! And exhibits like those wouldn't be easy to replace.

Tim Gow said...

Duc de Gobin
I have to say that Blake's 7 passed me by - and I'm in the right age bracket for it!

Tim Gow said...

Paul Foster
Nothing will stand in the way of the Luftwaffe....