Thursday 23 October 2014

Out of Control?

There were no posts in the past week as I've been away on a much needed holiday and didn't have time to set any up before I left.  The previous weekend, however, I managed to finish not only the previously mentioned Auster but also this Airfix Control Tower.  This is my second 'go' at this kit, the first having been when it was all new and exciting in c1977.  The original was moulded in yellow plastic (what the hell were they thinking?) but this more recent version - I've had it in stock for around 6 years - is rendered in an altogether more sober grey.  
As this will likely be used with larger scale toys I left out the crew figures.  As I recall the original standing chap with the binoculars went on to have a glittering career as a staff officer.  For the moment at least, his younger self is headed for the spares box!
The first one got stood on during a game - let's see how long this one lasts....



4 comments:

Paul Foster said...

Classic building and rather overpriced nowadays.

Good skills Tim.

Archduke Piccolo said...

One of those 'must have' items of war games architecture. I didn't know Airfix made these things. I've been thinking of making a kind of cartooned version from cardboard some time...

Tim Gow said...

Paul Foster
I quite agree about the (theoretical) price. Happily I paid about £2.50 for this one!

Tim Gow said...

Archduke Piccolo
It's a simple enough shape, so a scratchbodged version should be easy enough.