Saturday 2 January 2016

2015 review

A couple of days later than intended but here it is.  The blog continues to be an important part of my wargaming life and though post numbers are again down  - to 155 (from 221 in 2014) this is in line with my 'target' of three posts per week.
Once again I thank all those who read my ramblings - especially those of you who post comments.

So what for me were the notable wargames events of 2015?

Funny Little Wars
54mm figures continue to multiply in my wargames room and in 2015 games played with FLW and it's variants have spanned the years 1700-ish to 1900-ish.
An artillery redoubt prepared to repel boarders
Particularly notable games were the 18th Century siege in February and of course the Waterloo extravaganza in September.  Both games provided opportunities to develop and test new mechanisms for future FLW variants.
French columns advance on a smoke-shrouded La Haye Sainte
Little Cold Wars
This has now reached the point where I need to smarten up the maps and send the draft to my publisher. We've played it quite a few time, including a 6-player game at Knuston in June which saw two WARPACT Motor Rifle Regiments attacking NATO positions.  This rates as one of my best days of wargaming ever!
A completely accurate 1/72 Antonov prepares to disgorge it's load of paras near a NATO airbase
LCW has also spawned a spin-off WW2 game.  Actually while it shares some mechanisms it is a very different game to LCW.  I'm hoping to develop this further during 2016.
Ancient Britains?  Deetail Germans with a Solido Panther in support.
Command & Colours
This continues to be played regularly in both it's ancient and Napoleonic versions.  Indeed I have spent the past few days rebasing more of the late Bob Plumb's 25mm figures for use in such games.
Some of JR's Camelphracts' in action at Mische, 244AD
Events
Aside from the games mentioned above, I of course, attended COW and again ran a plenary game.  I also spent time running WD's game at Triples.  May saw my first appearance at the Plastic Warrior show in SW London and I also made it to the Birmingham Toy Soldier Show.

Visits
As well as carrying out some 'history tourism' during visits to Paris and Lanzarote, I spent a day touring the battlefield at Waterloo. Excellent preparation for the game mentioned above!
Name that farm!





6 comments:

Rob Young said...

Well, your posts this year exceeds my total number in the last 14 months, so I'd say you're doing OK.

Duc de Gobin said...

Yep, I second that. I'm lucky if I post more than two times per month. Your posts are always thought provoking, and/or stir memories of 'plastic kits of old'.

Keep up the good work.

Rob Young said...

Isn't it hard remembering it's a new year? As in saying 'posts this year' instead of 'posts last year'?

I'll get it right eventually.

Rob

Tim Gow said...

Xaltotun of Python
Life is indeed increasingly confusing!

Tim Gow said...

Duc de Gobin
Many thanks - I will persevere!

Ian Dury said...

Personally I love the variety in your games - and the fact that you do treat them as games, rather than anything more serious
Ian