Monday 15 August 2016

Somme day I'll find you - part 2

Or as our comrade in blogs Conrad Kinch would have it - 'The Puns of August.'
Phase to of the game saw the massive British artillery bombardment, with a gun line of ten gun models each firing 5 rounds.
You may remember me buying this pair of Cresent guns with crews at the Birmingham Toy Soldier Show last year.  I picked up the battered but worthy limber very cheaply.
 I provided six 18-pounders.



 At the other end of the line there was a seventh 18pdr and three(!) of these huge Britains howitzers.

The wicked Germans engaged in some counter-battery fire with their three batteries.  This is an Emhar 77mm
 This monster is a metal model intended for use with 28mm figures.
  A Marklin tinplate gun dating from before WW2.

An the results of all this furious fire?  One of the British howitzers was blown up but we're confident that all the German wire has been broken and that all their front-line troops are dead.  Oh yes.

12 comments:

Pete. said...

Boom boom, booom booom and so on. Just to kep with the theme.

Seriously though it is a great line up of some classic toys Tim. Do they all still work?

Cheers,

Pete.

Tim Gow said...

Pete
I can only speak for my 18pdrs - which are all in firing condition. I suspect the howitzers are too. That said, all the actual firing was done with a single Britains 2pdr...

Don M said...

Always nice to see "The King Of Battle" come into it's own....and I'm sure that
those very few Huns that survived that bombardment are shuffling back to Germany
as we speak....That said I have a very nice piece of desert land for sale....)

Paul´s Bods said...

Lovely collection of guns..I´m well jealous!

Tim Gow said...

Don M
We'll soon find out what effect the barrage had. I'm running a version of this game on Wednesday so I can't give away too much for the moment.

Tim Gow said...

Paul's Bods
Always good to spark a bit of jealousy! But in fairness the guns were provided by three of us.

Milgeek said...

Haha! Wonderful stuff! Those guns look terrific!

Tim Gow said...

Stephen Beat
You were closer to the action then you might realise....

John Y said...

This looks fantastic! I really need to get over worrying about what the neighbors will think and bring the toy soldiers outside to their natural habitat.

Tim Gow said...

John Yorio
The neighbours probably think you're mad anyway, so why fight it?

Phil said...

I am impressed by your beautiful pictures...and minis, well done!

Tim Gow said...

Phil
Thanks - the photos are always better with outdoor games!